Monday, May 31, 2010

Bazaar - Allston

Bazaar on Cambridge
424 Cambridge St
Allston, MA 02134
(617) 787-1511
www.bazaarboston.com

I'm really not sure why a lot of the great grocery stores around this city fall under the radar. Despite the fact that I can read very few of the labels or ingredients on the, oftentimes, Russian products, Bazaar is a true gem.

Gazing at the surprisingly large assortment of smoked meats, smoked fish, caviar, and frozen meats, most of which I didn't even realize were even available, I feel as though I'm in a different world -- one with amazing and unusual foods. It has taken me countless visits to begin to take in the things are here. I recommend you do the same. It's worth it.

Where to begin? Really not sure. Okay, so the raw meats are decent and inexpensive (veal chops, chicken thighs and breasts, chopped beef, and random other things). According to the website, there are about 80 types of smoked fish. I've seen several types of caviar there ranging from about $8 to, well, what you'd imagine the price of good caviar to be. I've never seen so many smoked meats, including smoked chicken (which is an excellent addition to dishes such as paella and casoulet). The frozen section is unbelievable, with so many pierogis with different fillings that I probably couldn't carry one of each without a backpack. There are also frozen shrimp, calamari rings, whole fish, quail, duck, and much, much more.

Produce is plentiful, as well as dried nuts and fruits. There are European chocolates galore. Farmer's cheese, which is not too easy to find and MUCH healthier than cream cheese and nearly every other spreadable product, comes in several varieties.

Just as I know I miss something wonderful every time I'm there, I'm sure I'm forgetting to write about certain things now. Many apologies. I guess you just have to go there.

Why it's a gem:

Smoked meats and fish that are difficult to find elsewhere
Unusual beer and wine for good prices
Inexpensive

Tips:

Check out the wine and beer, and don't be afraid to experiment.
Monini is a popular company for flavored olive oils. This is one of the only places I've seen their Porcini oil. And all the oils, I believe, are $7.99, including the white truffle -- cheapest I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment