Friday, June 4, 2010

Taco Loco - Somerville


Taco Loco - Somerville
44 Broadway
Somerville, MA 02145-3331
(617) 625-3830

Sometimes, I'm in the mood for a quick, tasty snack. Actually, that sounds like a good idea most of the time. In fact, I'm going to get one. Be right back.

Okay, so since that's done -- Taco Loco serves a fantastic taco, and food in general, for ridiculously little money. Upon walking in, I was greeted by an American television showed dubbed over in Spanish and a long counter where all food is visible. And I liked that. The food, and especially the chicken, looked wonderful and fresh. Behind the counter is a clear view of the pupusas and tortillas being made. Different. And fantastic.

I ordered 1, carnitas taco, and it was $2. This price appears to be the standard single taco price around Boston. Great. What I didn't expect was a freshly made tortilla packed with meat, salsa, cilantro, guacamole, and cheese, with a radish and lime garnish. I'll take it. And 14 to go.

The chicken looked so good behind the counter that I came back for a piece and added guacamole to the order. I believe it cost barely more than the taco. If you're reading this and familiar with this venue, you're probably wondering why I haven't mentioned the burritos. People seem to love these burritos, large and supposedly delicious. I did not try one. YET. But I do believe that if the other, standard fare, is fantastic, then those burritos will be too.

Why it's a gem:

Excellent, fresh Mexican food for little money
Take-out central

Tips:

Although it's great for take-out, they have a downstairs, cellar-like area that is insanely charming, with little TVs playing the same, dubbed over shows. I ate there. And liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment