Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Local - West Newton

The Local
1391 Washington Street
West Newton, MA 02465
www.thelocalnewton.com

Mmmmmm. Truffle oil. I love truffle oil, and so does The Local. Going to this cozy "gastropub" cannot occur without getting a bucket of their parmesan truffle fries -- possibly my favorite snack in Boston. Lightly crisped and delicious, you can easily taste the truffle in these suckers. And they're only $5. Brilliant.

The Local specializes in crafting meals with local ingredients and offering a selection of New England beers.

Perusing the menu, one will find an excellent selection of $5 snacks, a real plus for this place. They have fried pickles on this menu, which I was pleased to see; however, I must add that I've had better (see Cambridge Common). Dinners are creative and gourmet (root beer braised pork), but they can get a little on the pricey side. Several flat bread pizzas are available for a reasonable price, including one with three cheeses , mushrooms, and, of course, truffle oil. Dee. Lish. Iss.

In terms of yummy liquids, there are large pours of wine and decent beers on tap, with the option of either 16oz. or 22oz. glasses. The martinis are wonderful, and there are blue cheese-stuffed olives that could leave me at the bar for hours popping them in my mouth with a huge grin on my face, not caring about the ajar mouths of the surrounding patrons.

Although the beer selection is pretty good (and there is always a guest, special brew), it is my primary qualm. For a place that boasts a good selection of New England beers, there aren't really that many, especially with all the places around that do serve many a local beer. And even though I like that Ithaca Apricot Wheat is on tap, it does not count as a New England beer. Enough of that. This place is great anyway.

Why it's a gem:

Parmesan truffle fries
Tasty snacks for $5
Blue cheese-stuffed olives
Flatbread pizza with truffle oil
Parmesan truffle fries
Comfy cozy atmosphere
Friendly, neighborhood bartenders

Tips:

There is a government parking lot next to The Local which is available after 6:00 (I think it's 6 -- you should check)

No comments:

Post a Comment