Sunday, May 9, 2010

Taqueria Mexico - Waltham

Taqueria Mexico
24 Charles Street
Waltham, MA 02453
(781) 893-2205
www.taqueriamexico.com

Greater Boston offers up some tasty Mexican food, but it's hard to find the authentic variety in these parts. Look no further -- I offer you Taqueria Mexico, sandwiched between two houses on a residential, one-way street in Waltham. This simple establishment of deliciousness serves up affordable, authentic cuisine. And the waiter refers to me as "amigo." I like being "amigo."

Chile rellenos, $5 burritos, and whole, pan fried fish, oh my! I have yet to have something here that is bad. Even the very simple, such as the carnitas tacos ($2 each, by the way) are fantastic simply because of the basic flavors and the taste of fresh cilantro. And there are many, many special and combination platters to choose from. Honestly, I say try them all. I dare you.

A note to the spice-fearing soul: many dishes pack a punch in the heat department, so choose wisely. This includes the salsa served with the delicious chips as you sit down. But fear not, you'll still have many choices. And I won't judge you. At least not too much.

Unfortunately, I have yet to detect a margarita (and I'll keep looking -- maybe they're hidden under the tables), but feel free to enjoy a cerveza. I look forward to the summer, sitting on their front patio, cerveza in hand, indulging in the wonderfulness.

When I first went here, on a day off, for lunch, I asked the waiter how long this fine eatery had been around. I was told 22 years. I also noticed a Zagat rating of 22 for food. Not too shabby for a casual, inexpensive restaurant on a side street. I can see why it's been around so long.

Why it's a gem:

Authentic
Spicy when it should be
VERY affordable - $5 burritos (many varieties), $2 tacos (many varieties)
Outdoor patio

Tips:

Don't forget to look at the specials board. The whole, pan fried fish is often up there. And it's awesome, if of course you don't mind your food looking at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment