Thursday, May 20, 2010

Russell House Tavern - Cambridge

Russell House Tavern
14 JFK Street

Cambridge, MA 02138
www.russellhouse.wordpress.com

I feel a little guilty proclaiming a bar/restaurant, let alone a brand spankin’ new one, a “gem,” based mostly on one drink, but the fact that I asked the bartender, “Do you make Sazerac?” and she responded, “Sazerac the cocktail? Yeah,” in a manner indicating there is no reason on this earth she shouldn’t be able to, makes this place worthwhile. And her name is Ginny. Her name alone rocks. I have a new home.

In its short time in Harvard Square, Russell House Tavern has sparked quite the positive jibberjab from the locals, always seems pretty occupied, and has hosted events such as wine tastings, hosted by an educator. Pretty good for a spot once occupied by Finagle-A-Bagle.

Aside from the Brilliant cocktail-making, this place boasts a capital-I, Impressive assortment of New England beers, including Berkshire Brewing Company. And looking along the liquor shelves, I find it fascinating to see Hudson Whiskey, straight out of New York State, as well as an overall remarkable collection of whiskeys, overall. And get ready for this: they have wine on tap! And it’s local!

I have not yet tried the food here. But it sounds good. They have oysters sold individually and a “Harvard Square Happy Meal,” with a burger, a beer, and a shot. Oh. Happy. Day.

There is much more to write about the Russell House Tavern, most certainly. But for now, I’ll be content with the bar and the fact that the atmosphere is so cozy that next time I’m bringing my slippers.

Why it’s a gem:

Local liquor, not just beer. Pretty darn cool.

Cozy

Knowledgeable bartenders – well, at least one for sure

Tips:

If there’s a cocktail you’re looking for, just ask if they make it. If they could make mine, I’m sure they can make yours. If not, get something else – I’m sure it’s delicious.

You can absolutely sit outdoors. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment