Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sazerac, defined

So I'm sort of obsessed with this drink, as you'll very quickly notice.

When I went to New Orleans, I was introduced to this drink soon after my arrival, since whiskey often comes up in conversations with me. I was told this drink is very traditional to New Orleans. I have no problem with that. Its contents most often include rye whiskey (preferably Sazerac rye), Peyshaud's bitters, sugar, and Herbsaint (no worries, I had no idea what it was either - but I believe it is one of many anise-flavored liquors).

According to my very brief research, it has been debated to be the first cocktail created in America; therefore, I feel incredibly patriotic every time I drink it. So if I have several in a row, I will indefinitely be singing The Star Bangled Banner at the top of my lungs.

Since visiting NOLA, I have engaged in an ongoing search to find Sazerac in Boston. You will see this mentioned in my blog. Mostly because it is delicious. Yummmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment