Friday, May 14, 2010

Blue Ribbon BBQ - West Newton

1375 Washington Street
West Newton, MA
(617) 332-2583
www.blueribbonbbq.com

There seems to be a pattern: I hear about a great BBQ joint around Boston, I go, I get disappointed, I hear about another, I go, I get disappointed. Repeat. I have to say, however, that Blue Ribbon is the one place without complaint from anyone I've met. Only recently, I decided to give in to the hype and go, expecting disappointment. I took a deep breath, walked into the small, narrow venue in West Newton, smelled the aroma while gaping at the menu, and fell over. After the smelling salts brought me to consciousness, I ordered.

Charm appears to ooze from the ceilings and walls of Blue Ribbon, as even the man behind the counter easily rattled off his favorites from the menu and explained the sauce bar with mini, take-out sauce containers.

Speaking of the sauce bar, I came home with five delicious sauces to display across my living room table. There are definitely some hot ones. Of the five, I liked the chipotle mustard, but the best sauce was the one that came with the meal.

Here's the deal: to me, good BBQ is tasty and tender. That's all. Blue Ribbon does it. The dry rub on the ribs was perfect, with the meat smokey and soft. The "burnt ends," soft, small pieces of brisket drowned in sauce, were tasty and tender as well. With good dry rubs and delicious sauces, I pronounce a winner.

Why it's a gem:

Best BBQ I've had this side of the Mason-Dixon line -- so far.
Friendly service
Great atmosphere (including the aroma)

Tips:

Although I have yet to try them, I've heard the sandwiches are great.
I would have no problem eating here, especially with only one or two others, but it's perfect takeout.

No comments:

Post a Comment